Do any of you HATE blinds with a PASSION like me? I HATE BLINDS! They tend to always do something like this:
Well, I finally decided I'd HAD ENOUGH! So I got the idea from Design Sponge, a great site for inspiration! And made my own custom roller shades.
I have been LOVING stripes, so I went with brown and white stripes for my fabric. Here's how I did it.
1. Go to your local hardware store (I went to Lowes and the workers were IDIOTS! I like Home Depot for the service...I like Lowes for prices...it's really a toss-up which is better all around, in my opinion). Get the right size roller blind and ask someone to cut it to your specifications. Make sure you get the hardware too- cause it doesn't come with the roller blind!
2. Buy heavy cotton, or decorator/upholstery fabric. I bought enough so that the width was about 2 inches wider than my window, and so the length is my window length + 9 inches extra.
3. Press sides of fabric in 1/2 inch.
4. Press those sides AGAIN- 1/2 inch over.
5. Sew close to the edge of fold on each side.
6. Press bottom of fabric up about 1/2 inch.
7. Press up another 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
8. Sew close to edge of fold. The side of this seam will be open, which it's supposed to be!
9. Take off the shade that comes on the roller shade.
It will be sticky, which is good for the next step. Press the shade you made onto the roller shade sticky part with your hands. Keep in mind the direction you want it to roll.
Then staple every 6 inches or so to secure fabric.
10. Last, put your wooden stick thingy you took out of the previous shade in your new shade's slot!
After you follow the manufacturers direction on tension adjustments, you'll have an awesome custom made roller shade!